Saturday, September 29, 2007

Pondering

Today has been an interesting day. I have been pondering a lot. That usually leads to unanswered questions and then more questions to ponder. I remember it saying Mary (Jesus' mother) pondered Luke 2:19 on things as her life was changing. She didn't want to miss a thing. Possibly trying to understand or to savor the moment. I figure if she pondered then pondering is good. I don't see it as a waste of time. Taking in the things around you and sorting them to make sure you are on the right track. It actually started on saturday. I started watching a show I had taped from Oprah. It was about "The Secret". I haven't finished it yet. Not sure i will. Pondering on how something so wrong can have so much right/truth in it. Satan really has been working overtime to blend so many lies with truth to attract millions of people who are searching for meaning in their lives. They think they have found "The Secret". Some of the truths they speak of actually come from biblical teachings. I don't think they know that. They think it is a "Secret". Have we as Christians been so silent that the lost world is discovering biblical truths from false prophets and they think they have discovered "The Secret". One we have known and haven't shared. On the other hand,we have shared it and because Jesus' name was attached to the message it has been rejected by the masses/media and people in our communities. We have been made silent so as not to offend ANYONE. The people we work with, live with or even go to church with. Funny how Jesus' name or the mention of him causes a reaction that isn't popular in media except to make fun of or demean it. In some churches Jesus isn't mentioned too much for fear of making people uncomfortable. For heaven's sakes they might not come back if they feel uncomfortable. Oh well, I better not go there.Back to Oprah.....the positive message with a distorted Jesus was glorified as "The Secret" to finding happiness in life without concern of salvation (eternal that is). They weren't too interested in the eternal. Just the now. As far as I listened it was just about being happy in the here and NOW. One lady mentioned she was a Christian and tried to explore how this concept could fit into her christian life. They handled it very politely. Then talked about how it was all the same. About the energy of the universe and how Jesus said the "kingdom of heaven was within us". I haven't researched but I think that is a gross misinterpretation. They basically believe we have all the power within ourselves to live this life of happiness in the present. They believe we are a bunch of energy cells flowing at different rates....Positive attracts positive and negative attracts negative.....That we don't have to wait for heaven we can have it here and now....of course if you think positively and follow "The Secret". Anyway, they said many other things that are false and many that are true. It is just alarming to me that they are selling a lot more than books. They are really passionate about "The Secret". They are on a mission to have a happier world by teaching people how to empower themselves. I do think self help methods are very useful. I am all for them. I believe you can make your life better by following some of the disciplines found in self help programs. But, I am in trouble if the only power in my life is coming from me, myself, my brain, or my vibrating energy casting cells of the universe. And of course you can follow all the self help concepts and have a wonderful life but that doesn't mean you will be saved and live eternally in Heaven. So we must be careful to not confuse the two. As Christians we know we can't save ourselves and need a Savior. Help ourselves, YES, but not save our eternal souls.So, I am pondering about how our world has gotten where we are. Now up is down and down is up. Lies are presented as proven truths and truth isn't popular at all. I just finished a study from the bible on Daniel. It really has summed it up for my mind. Our culture as returned to the Babylonian mentality. I am, and there is none besides me Isaiah 47:10 "The Secret" teaches exactly this concept. It is all about you. Your happiness is all that matters. Churches suffer from this mentality. It is impossible to maintain a church with people focused only on their happiness and really don't care about the needs of others or about a higher calling of what purpose God has for them to fulfill. The church consumer mentality is running rapid..It is about what the church can do for them instead of what can I do for my church. The bible teaches that we all have gifts that need to be used to make the church function as it was designed to reach the lost world. Are we doing this or are people spiritually starving and turning to false teachings? Of course the consumers flow to the churches who can offer them the most benefits and can meet some inner need of approval or this happy feeling many have found in "The Secret". I know I am pondering out loud. It is something for you to ponder. Pray for discernment. Like we learned in Daniel. It will not be by accident that we aren't drawn/seduced into the culture around us. We must decide not to be. Then pray for understanding and wisdom and discernment to tell the truth from the lies. Stand firm. Decide ahead of time. The old saying is "If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything"

1 comment:

A Place For Ministry Wives/A Place For Me said...

It's about time I got to read another post! LOL. I kept checking your site and saying to myself..."She sure is starving that dog!". LOLx2

I saw this episode of Oprah awhile back. I sat in my living room just as enthralled as I could be by it. I knew how "off" it was, but I was so curious. My husband said to me, "I can't believe you're watching that!"...to which I replied..."I just want to see what they have to say and what it's specifically about"...knowing the whole time that I was rationalizing, rationalizing, rationalizing...using the old "I need to make myself aware of what's around me" excuse...when...truth is...their appealing words were sucking - even me - in. I knew better. I can't even remember at this point whether I finished the show or not. But, I do remember THE PULL to want to know/hear more.

Thank God for the Holy Spirit and His DISCERNMENT (even if we choose to yield to it or not). Thank God that "Greater is HE that is in us than He that is in the world."

Anyway, YES, your post is "right on". The diversified backgrounds of the "teachers/supporters" was just - I don't even have a word for it - the way some of them represented spiritual/"church" roles - definitely not churches of Christianity, that's for sure.

And yes, how several of the truths were close to Christianity and what the Bible teaches, but were so entwined with new age mantra. Energy, cells, etc. I need not say anymore about that.

What I will say, however, is that after I read this post, I couldn't stop thinking about the books of 1 & 2 John where it mentions the "spirit of the antichrist" and references the word deceiver. And how it also says that "many antichrists have come...this is how we know it is the last hour".

If I ever encounter a follower of this whole Secret phenomenon...I will SURELY BE COMPELLED to share the TRUTH with them.

Foggy Brain

Found my old blogs and started scrolling back in time. Loved the pictures on Walkers Take it All in Stride blog. Those grans have grown up s...